Lemon Law in Tacoma, WA
Tacoma residents look to get the most for their money. Especially when buying a new car. However, there are cases of Tacoma residents buying a new car, only to discover later that it is defective in some ways. If you have purchased a new car that turns out to be defective, you may want to seek the counsel of an experienced Tacoma lemon lawyer to help guide you through your next steps.
What Is a Lemon Law?
Lemon laws deal with consumer protections that are particularly applicable to automobile purchases. For any Tacoma, Washington lemon law to apply, the automobile must suffer from a defect. This problem should be outside the purchaser’s control, like a manufacturer issue. Furthermore, lemon laws apply if a certain number of reasonable repairs happened to the vehicle in question to no avail.
When Do Tacoma, Washington Lemon Laws Apply?
There are some common practices that you can take that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it there, you establish credibility by showing the responsible party attempted to address the issue. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot become held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, have accurate logs that detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This detail also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research the lemon law requirements in Washington to ensure you remain within the legal confines.
Washington Lemon Laws are enacted to protect consumers who have substantial and lingering problems with warranty repairs. If there is a significant defect to the car, meaning a problem that affects the safety, performance, or value of the car, then the owner can request arbitration with the dealer or manufacturer. However, this arbitration request must come within 30 months of the vehicle’s original retail delivery date.
How Do You Ensure the Application of Lemon Laws?
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research your particular state’s lemon law requirements to ensure that you remain within the legal confines of any claim you wish to forward. There are some common practices that you can take in Tacoma that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it to the dealership, you establish a credible paper trail showing that the responsible party attempted to address the issue at hand. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot be held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, having accurate records detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
What Are Consumers Entitled?
You have a legal entitlement to a replacement vehicle or refund if , Washington lemon laws apply. However, manufacturers may deduct a fee in proportion to the miles the owner put on the car or truck before it became unusable. This compensation should include:
- Down payment
- Car rentals
- Monthly payments
- Tow expenses
- Attorney costs
Do Lemon Laws Apply to Used Vehicles?
Lemon laws can apply to used vehicles. However, this is for written warranties distributed along with the vehicle upon sale. Often, a used car dealership sells vehicles with a portion of the guarantee remaining. This situation incentivizes the purchase and (allegedly) puts the buyer’s mind at ease.
Most used cars sold in Tacoma are sold “as is”, meaning the buyer assumes all the risk for the car. There are no lemon law protections for used cars in Tacoma. If you have purchased a used lemon you must seek relief under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
When Should You Hire a Qualified Tacoma, Washington Lemon Law Attorney?
Have you attempted to have your vehicle repaired at the dealership? Consumers should consider legal action when it doesn’t work for 30 days. If you can’t resolve the issue with the manufacturer, it may be time to bring in a , Washington lemon law attorney.
How Does the Lemon Law Litigation Process Work?
Consumers can expect to go through a series of motions by bringing in an experienced Tacoma lawyer. However, introducing legal counsel into the situation is the best way for consumers to receive a fair outcome. With most lemon law attorneys, you can expect the following:
- Free Case Evaluation – Attorneys should review your case for free. They will determine its merit and whether you have a justifiable claim.
- Filing Your Claim – Your Washington legal representative should handle filing a claim with the manufacturer after determining the facts.
- Further Action – Your vehicle’s manufacturer may refuse to comply with the claim under federal and state statutes. Then your attorney files suit to seek entitled compensation on your behalf.
- Pursuing Settlement – The manufacturer should cover all costs and fees if you achieve a settlement before trial. This compensation will often include attorney fees.
- Contingency Fee Basis – At the end of the ordeal, clients should not have to pay for attorney’s fees. Even if you ultimately lose your case, a reputable Tacoma law firm should not charge clients fees. If you win your case, the manufacturer pays the attorney’s fees.
If you have purchased a lemon in Tacoma, and cannot come to a mutual decision through arbitration, you may feel it necessary to file suit. If this is the case you might have your experienced lemon lawyer file suit with the Municipal Court of Tacoma. When dealing with dealers or manufacturers that have sold you a lemon, it may be beneficial to have the experienced counsel of a Tacoma lemon lawyer on your side.
Work With an Experienced Local Lawyer In Tacoma, Washington.
Do you need immediate help? Then one of our experienced lawyers in Tacoma can help guide you through the Lemon Law litigation process. We can even help you connect with an attorney across Washington state lines!
Submit a request online or call us today at (866) 345-6784 to get in touch with an experienced lawyer in your area!