Lemon Law in Flint, MI
Life brings enough stress. The last thing you want to concern yourself with is the possibility that someone may take advantage of you by selling you a damaged or inferior automobile.
Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon occurrence. But, there are instituted lemon laws to protect Flint residents who buy a damaged car. In order to exercise your rights, you may want to retain an experienced lemon law attorney in Flint.
What Is a Lemon Law?
Lemon laws deal with consumer protections that are particularly applicable to automobile purchases. For any Flint, Michigan lemon law to apply, the automobile must suffer from a defect. This problem should be outside the purchaser’s control, like a manufacturer issue. Furthermore, lemon laws apply if a certain number of reasonable repairs happened to the vehicle in question to no avail.
When Do Flint, Michigan Lemon Laws Apply?
There are some common practices that you can take that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it there, you establish credibility by showing the responsible party attempted to address the issue. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot become held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, have accurate logs that detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This detail also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research the lemon law requirements in Michigan to ensure you remain within the legal confines.
The Attorney General of Michigan confirms that the state’s lemon laws cover all defects that impair the value or use or value of a new car in Flint. Flint consumers are also protected if a defect prevents the automobile from conforming to the manufacturer’s warranty. However, defects that are the direct result of modification that are not made by the manufacturer are not covered. Neither are defects that result from neglect or abuse of the automobile.
How Do You Ensure the Application of Lemon Laws?
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research your particular state’s lemon law requirements to ensure that you remain within the legal confines of any claim you wish to forward. There are some common practices that you can take in Flint that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it to the dealership, you establish a credible paper trail showing that the responsible party attempted to address the issue at hand. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot be held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, having accurate records detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
What Are Consumers Entitled?
You have a legal entitlement to a replacement vehicle or refund if , Michigan lemon laws apply. However, manufacturers may deduct a fee in proportion to the miles the owner put on the car or truck before it became unusable. This compensation should include:
- Down payment
- Car rentals
- Monthly payments
- Tow expenses
- Attorney costs
Do Lemon Laws Apply to Used Vehicles?
Lemon laws can apply to used vehicles. However, this is for written warranties distributed along with the vehicle upon sale. Often, a used car dealership sells vehicles with a portion of the guarantee remaining. This situation incentivizes the purchase and (allegedly) puts the buyer’s mind at ease.
The Michigan Lemon Laws do not apply to used cars purchased in Flint, unless the car meets the criteria covered in the express warranty. Flint residents seeking relief for a lemon must contact the Michigan Bureau of Information Security, Regulatory and Monitoring Division.
When Should You Hire a Qualified Flint, Michigan Lemon Law Attorney?
Have you attempted to have your vehicle repaired at the dealership? Consumers should consider legal action when it doesn’t work for 30 days. If you can’t resolve the issue with the manufacturer, it may be time to bring in a , Michigan lemon law attorney.
How Does the Lemon Law Litigation Process Work?
Consumers can expect to go through a series of motions by bringing in an experienced Flint lawyer. However, introducing legal counsel into the situation is the best way for consumers to receive a fair outcome. With most lemon law attorneys, you can expect the following:
- Free Case Evaluation – Attorneys should review your case for free. They will determine its merit and whether you have a justifiable claim.
- Filing Your Claim – Your Michigan legal representative should handle filing a claim with the manufacturer after determining the facts.
- Further Action – Your vehicle’s manufacturer may refuse to comply with the claim under federal and state statutes. Then your attorney files suit to seek entitled compensation on your behalf.
- Pursuing Settlement – The manufacturer should cover all costs and fees if you achieve a settlement before trial. This compensation will often include attorney fees.
- Contingency Fee Basis – At the end of the ordeal, clients should not have to pay for attorney’s fees. Even if you ultimately lose your case, a reputable Flint law firm should not charge clients fees. If you win your case, the manufacturer pays the attorney’s fees.
The time frame for a lemon law lawsuit can vary, depending on multiple factors such as the strength of your case, and the court you file in. Most lemon law cases that go to trial are filed in the Genesee County Circuit Court. If you find yourself heading in this direction, it may be in your best interest to engage the services of an experienced lemon lawyer in Flint.
Work With an Experienced Local Lawyer In Flint, Michigan.
Do you need immediate help? Then one of our experienced lawyers in Flint can help guide you through the Lemon Law litigation process. We can even help you connect with an attorney across Michigan state lines!
Submit a request online or call us today at (866) 345-6784 to get in touch with an experienced lawyer in your area!