Lemon Law in Fort Worth, TX
Those in the market for a new automobile in Fort Worth should be able to get the most for their money. However, there are many cases of someone buying a defective new car, only to discover this after purchase when they get it home. To protect the consumer, and keep manufacturers from engaging in dishonest business practices, there are Lemon Laws that give those in Fort Worth the ability to recoup their money.
What Is a Lemon Law?
Lemon laws deal with consumer protections that are particularly applicable to automobile purchases. For any Fort Worth, Texas lemon law to apply, the automobile must suffer from a defect. This problem should be outside the purchaser’s control, like a manufacturer issue. Furthermore, lemon laws apply if a certain number of reasonable repairs happened to the vehicle in question to no avail.
When Do Fort Worth, Texas Lemon Laws Apply?
There are some common practices that you can take that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it there, you establish credibility by showing the responsible party attempted to address the issue. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot become held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, have accurate logs that detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This detail also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research the lemon law requirements in Texas to ensure you remain within the legal confines.
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles states that many of the motor vehicles on the road in Fort Worth are covered by manufacturer’s warranty. This gives you the opportunity to enforce your rights under the state’s lemon laws. These motor vehicles include cars, trucks, motorcycles, all terrain vehicles, motorhomes, neighborhood electric vehicles, and towable recreational vehicles. However, farm equipment, boats, repossessed vehicles, and non-travel trailers are excluded.
How Do You Ensure the Application of Lemon Laws?
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research your particular state’s lemon law requirements to ensure that you remain within the legal confines of any claim you wish to forward. There are some common practices that you can take in Fort Worth that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it to the dealership, you establish a credible paper trail showing that the responsible party attempted to address the issue at hand. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot be held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, having accurate records detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
What Are Consumers Entitled?
You have a legal entitlement to a replacement vehicle or refund if , Texas lemon laws apply. However, manufacturers may deduct a fee in proportion to the miles the owner put on the car or truck before it became unusable. This compensation should include:
- Down payment
- Car rentals
- Monthly payments
- Tow expenses
- Attorney costs
Do Lemon Laws Apply to Used Vehicles?
Lemon laws can apply to used vehicles. However, this is for written warranties distributed along with the vehicle upon sale. Often, a used car dealership sells vehicles with a portion of the guarantee remaining. This situation incentivizes the purchase and (allegedly) puts the buyer’s mind at ease.
NBC Dallas-Fort Worth gives a brief rundown of tips for those buying used cars. While there are certain protections for used lemons, they are not as staunch if you buy from a private seller. The report also encourages you to take your time when purchasing a new or used car, and never allow yourself to be rushed into a purchase that makes you uncomfortable.
When Should You Hire a Qualified Fort Worth, Texas Lemon Law Attorney?
Have you attempted to have your vehicle repaired at the dealership? Consumers should consider legal action when it doesn’t work for 30 days. If you can’t resolve the issue with the manufacturer, it may be time to bring in a , Texas lemon law attorney.
How Does the Lemon Law Litigation Process Work?
Consumers can expect to go through a series of motions by bringing in an experienced Fort Worth lawyer. However, introducing legal counsel into the situation is the best way for consumers to receive a fair outcome. With most lemon law attorneys, you can expect the following:
- Free Case Evaluation – Attorneys should review your case for free. They will determine its merit and whether you have a justifiable claim.
- Filing Your Claim – Your Texas legal representative should handle filing a claim with the manufacturer after determining the facts.
- Further Action – Your vehicle’s manufacturer may refuse to comply with the claim under federal and state statutes. Then your attorney files suit to seek entitled compensation on your behalf.
- Pursuing Settlement – The manufacturer should cover all costs and fees if you achieve a settlement before trial. This compensation will often include attorney fees.
- Contingency Fee Basis – At the end of the ordeal, clients should not have to pay for attorney’s fees. Even if you ultimately lose your case, a reputable Fort Worth law firm should not charge clients fees. If you win your case, the manufacturer pays the attorney’s fees.
If you have exhausted all other avenues, your lemon lawyer in Fort Worth may decide to file your case in court to protect your rights as a consumer. While we would all enjoy the ability to settle disputes amicably, this may not always be the case. Most likely your lawyer will file in the Tarrant County Court.
Work With an Experienced Local Lawyer In Fort Worth, Texas.
Do you need immediate help? Then one of our experienced lawyers in Fort Worth can help guide you through the Lemon Law litigation process. We can even help you connect with an attorney across Texas state lines!
Submit a request online or call us today at (866) 345-6784 to get in touch with an experienced lawyer in your area!