Lemon Law in Idaho Falls, ID
Buying a new car is an important financial decision that affects you, and the household as a whole. Once you make this investment, you want to be certain that you aren’t bringing home a defective automobile. One that can hinder everything from work, to school, to extracurriculars for those in the house. If you happen to bring home a lemon you may need to engage the services of an experienced lemon lawyer in Idaho Falls.
What Is a Lemon Law?
Lemon laws deal with consumer protections that are particularly applicable to automobile purchases. For any Idaho Falls, Idaho lemon law to apply, the automobile must suffer from a defect. This problem should be outside the purchaser’s control, like a manufacturer issue. Furthermore, lemon laws apply if a certain number of reasonable repairs happened to the vehicle in question to no avail.
When Do Idaho Falls, Idaho Lemon Laws Apply?
There are some common practices that you can take that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it there, you establish credibility by showing the responsible party attempted to address the issue. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot become held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, have accurate logs that detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This detail also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research the lemon law requirements in Idaho to ensure you remain within the legal confines.
According to the Attorney General of Idaho, those seeking to buy a new car in Idaho Falls are shielded from predatory business practices by the Idaho Lemon Law. Still, there are actions that it is imperative for a consumer to take if they bring home a lemon. You must report the defect as soon as possible to the dealer or manufacturer. The report must be made within the first 2 years of ownership, or the first 24,000 miles driven. After you call to report the lemon status, you may want your next call to be contacting an experienced lemon lawyer in Idaho Falls.
How Do You Ensure the Application of Lemon Laws?
Lemon law statutes vary by state. You should research your particular state’s lemon law requirements to ensure that you remain within the legal confines of any claim you wish to forward. There are some common practices that you can take in Idaho Falls that better position you in citing lemon law:
- You should only take the vehicle in question to the corresponding dealership for repairs. By taking it to the dealership, you establish a credible paper trail showing that the responsible party attempted to address the issue at hand. If you take the vehicle to a mom-and-pop mechanic, the manufacturer cannot be held liable for any attempts made to fix the problem.
- Be sure to keep accurate and detailed records of any repairs made. If your case goes to trial, having accurate records detail the manufacturer’s opportunities to fix the mechanical issues. This also helps build a timeline of how long you could not use your vehicle.
What Are Consumers Entitled?
You have a legal entitlement to a replacement vehicle or refund if , Idaho lemon laws apply. However, manufacturers may deduct a fee in proportion to the miles the owner put on the car or truck before it became unusable. This compensation should include:
- Down payment
- Car rentals
- Monthly payments
- Tow expenses
- Attorney costs
Do Lemon Laws Apply to Used Vehicles?
Lemon laws can apply to used vehicles. However, this is for written warranties distributed along with the vehicle upon sale. Often, a used car dealership sells vehicles with a portion of the guarantee remaining. This situation incentivizes the purchase and (allegedly) puts the buyer’s mind at ease.
Any resident of Idaho Falls that purchases a used lemon must seek restitution under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There are no state laws in Idaho that protect residents when they buy a used lemon.
When Should You Hire a Qualified Idaho Falls, Idaho Lemon Law Attorney?
Have you attempted to have your vehicle repaired at the dealership? Consumers should consider legal action when it doesn’t work for 30 days. If you can’t resolve the issue with the manufacturer, it may be time to bring in a , Idaho lemon law attorney.
How Does the Lemon Law Litigation Process Work?
Consumers can expect to go through a series of motions by bringing in an experienced Idaho Falls lawyer. However, introducing legal counsel into the situation is the best way for consumers to receive a fair outcome. With most lemon law attorneys, you can expect the following:
- Free Case Evaluation – Attorneys should review your case for free. They will determine its merit and whether you have a justifiable claim.
- Filing Your Claim – Your Idaho legal representative should handle filing a claim with the manufacturer after determining the facts.
- Further Action – Your vehicle’s manufacturer may refuse to comply with the claim under federal and state statutes. Then your attorney files suit to seek entitled compensation on your behalf.
- Pursuing Settlement – The manufacturer should cover all costs and fees if you achieve a settlement before trial. This compensation will often include attorney fees.
- Contingency Fee Basis – At the end of the ordeal, clients should not have to pay for attorney’s fees. Even if you ultimately lose your case, a reputable Idaho Falls law firm should not charge clients fees. If you win your case, the manufacturer pays the attorney’s fees.
If the dealer or manufacturer is not abiding by the law, or you feel that your best recourse is to file suit in court, you will most likely file with the Bonneville County District Court. Going to court can be stressful, even when you have the law on your side. This is why you may want the calm, professional experience of an Idaho Falls lemon layer to help you navigate this process.
Work With an Experienced Local Lawyer In Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Do you need immediate help? Then one of our experienced lawyers in Idaho Falls can help guide you through the Lemon Law litigation process. We can even help you connect with an attorney across Idaho state lines!
Submit a request online or call us today at (866) 345-6784 to get in touch with an experienced lawyer in your area!